I don’t know if I did this wrong, I don’t even know what roasted chickpeas are supposed to taste like, but the texture of these roasted was a little unexpected to me. I didn’t research recipes enough beforehand, so it could be that the one I followed wasn’t very conventional, but I was expecting a crunchy texture, popcorn-like. Instead, these were a little crispy and a little like… well, like chickpeas usually are. Maybe my expectations were a bit delluded. Anyway, I can’t fault the flavour of these! I found the recipe on MPMK.
Garlic and Parmesan Roasted Chickpeas
2 cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) or about 4 cups cooked chickpeas from dried beans
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves fresh minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 190C (375F)
- Drain and rinse beans. Leave to dry on dry towel until most of excess moisture is absorbed.
- Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Roast chickpeas in oven for 45-60 mins or until the beans are crunchy throughout (just test one- if they are still mostly soft on the inside and there’s no crunch, keep baking).
- Immediately (while beans are still hot), toss with olive oil and seasonings. Serve hot or at room temperature. They are best the first day, but can be kept in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Wow, I feel really dumb. In transferring this recipe across I just realised I didn’t read the bit in parenthesis on Step 4! This is what you get when you try to juggle 7 different recipes at once! I guess my chickpeas just needed longer in the oven, I’ll put them back in tomorrow for another 15 or 20 minutes and hopefully they will be crunchy like they should be…
10th March 2013 Update:
Wow. I did roast the chickpeas for 20 more minutes and oh my… they are sooo delicous, crunchy and crispy and full of flavour. They are so tasty that I think I am gonna have a hard time not scoffing them all at once! Yum. I am really looking forward to trying different flavours out, and I will keep you posted as and when I do!